Hello everyone, it's Kyria from Travel Spot, filling in for Emily today! I was a bit behind last month, and am just catching up on Winter Garden (what a strange book, by the way!). However, this month I am well prepared! I am finished with The Year of Fog and am excited about the discussion.
First off, let me say that I love that this book is set in San Francisco! Every place she talks about, I know. It's kind of fun! When she talks about the Great Highway or Ocean Beach or Potrero Hill, I can see it in my mind. This made this book really special for me (on her website, there is actually a map of all the places that she goes out looking). However, other than that, I felt depressed the entire time. I can't imagine losing a child. But enough about what I think, let's get to the questions, shall we?
Discussion Questions, Chapters 1 - 45:
1. How do you feel about Abby and Jake? Do you like them? Do you like any one more than the other?
2. How much was Emma a factor in Abby’s relationship with Jake? AfterEmma’s disappearance, what did they discover about each other? Why was it awkward for Abby to see Jake turn to religion? Why was he skeptical of her insistence that Emma didn’t drown but was kidnapped?
3. How does Abby’s eye as a photographer shape the way she sees the world around her? What does she see that others don’t? What kinds of images captivate her the most? What does her approach to photography indicate about her approach to life?
4. Are Ramon and Jake entirely different, or was there a common thread that attracted Abby to each of them? What keeps her from sleeping with Nick in chapter 40? What has she needed from men in general at crucial points in her life?
5. Do you think Jake and Abby will last until the end of the book?
6. What is your theory of what happened to Emma?
Thanks for joining in! And thanks to Emily for hosting! See you on May 24th for the 2nd and final discussion of The Year of Fog!
Thanks, Kyria!! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!