Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A day in the life of MillerMama....

Hello everyone! Today we have my friend Miller, a fellow mama who cheers for the Buckeyes! If you would like to share a day in your life, leave a comment to this post or email me at pinkflipflops44 at gmail dot com! Thanks! ;)

I decided to pick a day that was a little out of the ordinary to share. On this Monday I was home with my 8 ½ month old daughter, Amelia, in the morning because her sitter had a doctor’s appointment. You can read about one of my more typical days from a few months back here: It's My Life

*disclaimer – the pictures I inserted are not actually from this day because I am not that organized. They are a compilation from what was on my phone.*

 6:10am – My alarm goes off later than normal but I’m still tired. Amelia was up more than usual last night, and I know I have a long day ahead of me. She’s still getting over Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease from last week, so I’m trying to be patient but man, I miss sleep. Hit the snooze button.

 6:20 – Lay in bed knowing I need to get up and shower before Amelia is up for the day and my husband goes to work. Otherwise I will have to find a way to corral her that doesn’t result in her throwing a fit.

 6:40 – I am out of the shower, getting my hair, makeup, etc. done as quickly as possible. I hear Amelia stirring and “talking” in her crib and I know I am on borrowed time.

 6:50 – She’s up. I get her a bottle and wake up my husband so I can prop her in bed with him. She’s crawling and climbing everything so one second of inattention can be a disaster!

 7:00 – I’m done getting ready and retrieve her from our bed. We head downstairs and I plop her in her walker so I can make coffee. Must. Have. Coffee. My husband follows shortly after.

 7:30-8:00 – Amelia plays on the floor while I drink my coffee and watch the Today Show. The hubby leaves for work. Breakfast for the munchkin (fruit puree with oatmeal mixed in) and I grab a granola bar.

 8:30– Get Amelia dressed and it’s playtime. Her current favorites are her activity table and cloth piano that she crawls on. Oh, and the cable box. And the cat. I spend a lot of time chasing her around and trying to prevent her from hitting her head on things.

9:30 – Fix her a bottle and park her in her swing, which in all reality she is probably too big for. But hey, whatever works. She is a power napper, and by that I mean that under no circumstances does she sleep for more than half an hour. I throw a load of laundry in and park myself in the recliner to veg out for the remaining 15 minutes of her nap.

 10:00 – She’s awake. It’s like clockwork. What do people do whose children nap for an hour or two at a time? I can only dream. We play some more.

 10:40 – The sitter calls to let me know she is home, so I rush around collecting bottles, her diaper bag, etc. and we’re out the door to drop her off (about 5 blocks away).

11:00 – I rush home and change into work clothes (didn’t want to get spit up on my shirt or have food flung at me), then head out the door for my 45 minute commute and hope to make it to work by noon. I’m running short on paid time off after Amelia’s recent illnesses.

 12:00pm – Make it to work and start checking email. I work in the Disability Services office of a state college, and we were selected for an advance screening of a new show from the Sundance Channel featuring four women in wheelchairs. One of the stars is supposed to be getting in this afternoon in time for a reception and the screening. First email I see – her flight is delayed. Great.

[ Source ]

12:30-3:30 – I eat a microwaved frozen lunch at my desk and try to run damage control as we find out the star likely won’t make it at all. Proceed to make numerous phone calls/ send emails to find out if we can video conference her in at the event, and deal with countless interruptions from my boss.

 3:30-4:30 – Video conferencing is set up. Shew. Try to get some other work done, check some of my message boards, and browse prices online for the Nook or Kindle I’m hoping to get for my birthday next week. Normally my work day would be done at this point.

 4:30-5:30 – Work on billing statements I send out to students for our services, then head up to the reception.

 5:30-7:45 – Reception and screening are a success, despite the star of the show connecting through cyberspace. I’m impressed with the show as reality TV goes, and our students ask some great questions during the Q&A. I duck out a few minutes early hoping to get home before Amelia goes to sleep.

 7:50 – I’m on the road and it’s raining. Great. Call my husband and Amelia went to sleep super early (normal bedtime these days is 8:30) so I won’t get to see her tonight. Ugh. Decide I may as well stop for gas. I have to fill up twice a week thanks to my commute.

 8:45 – I’m home and exhausted. It’s been a long day and it’s been awhile since I’ve spent a day in heels. Still have to gather all of Amelia’s stuff for the next day and wash bottles since my husband did it all of last week.

 9:30 – I tiptoe into Amelia’s room and smile at her all smushed up against the side of the crib. I get ready for bed and check Facebook and Words with Friends on my phone before I am out for the night. My hubby comes up to bed about an hour later, and I’m already sound asleep. 5:45 is going to come early tomorrow morning!

Thanks for sharing!

What kind of footwear do you wear to work? I totally go for comfort since I chase 4 year olds and every time I've dared to wear heels, I've had to chase someone.  No bueno.

No comments: