Time for my 2020 Reading Recap. This may be slightly inaccurate as it is based upon my faulty sleep deprived memory!
How many fiction and non-fiction? 8 non-fiction, which was 3 more than last year. My favorite non-fiction I read was Caste: The Origins of our Discontent by Isabel Wilkerson. I’ve been recommending this book to EVERYONE. 73 fiction books and out of those I have recommended Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner to many people!
Male/Female author ratio? 62 women (a few repeats), 12 men, and 1 that uses they/them pronouns. Some authors I really enjoyed this year are Jason Reynolds, Dan Gemeinhart, Ruth Ware, and Jenny Han.
Which author was new to you in 2019 that you now want to read the entire works of? Ruth Ware or Helen Hoang.
Favorite book read in 2019? Besides the two I mentioned before I also really enjoyed The Parker Inheritance, The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise, Felix Ever After, The Kiss Quotient, Anxious People, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, The Giver of Stars, Burn Baby Burn, The Bookish Life of Nina Hill and The Hate U Give.
Least favorite? Probably Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie or November Road by Lou Berney
Any that you simply couldn’t finish and why? I think the only one I didn’t finish was Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library. The 9 year old and I started it together and then she finished it by herself and I meant to finish it and I never got back to it. We own it, but I do plan on getting to it!
How many pages did you read? 26,152
How many books from the library? 64! Which is 11 more than last year. I’ve really utilized our library, especially since they finally eliminated late fees and no fees to reserve books!
How many books read did I purchase? I think 6 of these, not all last year. I bought a TON of books, but mostly for the girls and gifts.
How many were gifts? 3 I think.
How many borrowed from others? I borrowed one from my mom.
How many were given to me for reviews? 3 and I won one of the books I read in a goodreads giveaway.
How many books read on kindle? The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah.
Any re-reads? Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. My book club picked it and it was one of my favorites from when I read it.
Which countries did you go to through the page in your year of reading? United States, England, Ireland, Nigeria, France, Sweden, Iceland, Qatar, Germany, Australia, and Pakistan.
What states did you go through the page in your year of reading? New York, Michigan, Alaska, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, West Virginia Georgia, Minnesota, Ohio, Alabama, Washington D.C. (calling it a state), South Carolina, Maine, Tennessee, Idaho, California, Oklahoma, Texas, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Mississippi, Virginia, and Louisiana.
Which book wouldn’t you have read without someone’s specific recommendation? The Butterfly Garden, The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise, and The Parker Inheritance.
Which author did you read the most of? 3, Charlaine Harris, 2 Susan Boyers, 2 Patricia Harman, 2 Linda Castillo, and 2 Nic Stone.
What was your best reading month? September. I read 11 books then.
What was your worst reading month? May, I only read 2 books.
to average about 8 per month for the most part.
Top Ten Reading Moments of 2020
- Having the 9 year old recommend books for me to read.
- Reading on the porch.
- Reading with both of my girls.
- Talking about books with the 9 year old.
- Discussing Educated with Book Club.
- Making the cookie recipe in the Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder book
- Discussing Amal Unbound with the nine year old
- Reading my first graphic novel
- Reserving books through my libraries pick up with NO CHARGE!!! (Big deal because it used to be 25 cents per hold!!!)
- Have the one year old sing and dance to Down by the Bay 243434234 times
2020 Reading Goals - Revisited
Read 60 books. – Success! I read 81.
2. Read more books from my shelf and clear them out. – This did not go so well. With the ease of curbside pick ups and not charging for library holds, I read a TON of library books this year.
3. Write more about what I read. – FAIL. FAIL FAIL FAIL. I blame lack of sleep, a baby, and the pandemic. Whoops.
1. Read 60 Books
2. Read 12 books from my shelves.
3. Read 12 books that my friends have read.
4. Read a biography of a president or first lady.
5. Use Book Riot’s Read Harder challenge as a way to find books to read when I need one.
How many books did you read this year? Did you complete your 2020 reading goals? What are your goals for 2020? Which author did you read the most of? What was your most recommended book? What book do I NEED to read in 2021?