Those of you who have read Firefly Lane know that music plays a big part in the story. The songs change as the years change and certain songs bring Tully and Kate right back to a memory shared between the two. So many songs remind me of people or times or places in my life and this weekend as I sat in the theater watching Kenny Chesney in 3D (yeah no judging, he’s my true love yo!) it reminded me of how many songs take me back and how may of his songs in particular take me back. And when I say take me back it’s usually me thinking of myself belting out the tunes in my car; or hearing certain songs on the radio on long road trips with family. Compiling this list was so hard, because so many songs remind me of people, places and times in my life. I know that I will forget some important ones, but here I go!
The Childhood Years
1. American Pie by Don McClean – I LOVED THIS song. We used to hear it at least twice every time we drove to my grandparent’s house. I’ve known all the lyrics for what seems like my entire life. It reminds me of good times.
2. How Can I Help You to Say Goodbye by Patty Loveless – I remember asking my mom what her favorite song was when I was probably 7 or 8, and she flipped the channel and this song was playing and she said this was one of them. I then had to be just like mommy and decided I liked it too! Still makes me want to cry when I hear it!
3. Last Kiss by J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers – So I may not have known current music existed until after I was 5. We listened to the Oldies station with my parents all the time. This was one of my faves! When I think of this song, I think of night time driving in my parents old mni-van.
4. Leader of the Pack by The Shangri-Las – Vroom Vroom. I always used to hear this driving to my grandma’s house! And I loved it!
5. That’s What Friends are For – We learned this in Music Class and would always sing it!
And further proof that my memory sucks, there used to be a song that I LOVED, and would sit out in my parents yard singing and pretending to play drums with my neighbor, and I cannot think of it’s name.. but many summer nights were spent out “playing!”
The Awkward Years aka Junior Hell er High..
1. California Love by 2pac – I still remember finding out 2pac was shot and killed during what I think was my very first Junior High Dance. My BFF’s mom picked us up in their rockin’ mini-van and we heard the news on the radio. Oh and they played that song AT EVERY dance I attended 7th-12th grade.
2. Pretty Much the entire 2pac Greatest Hits Double CD – I would blast this every morning as I got ready for school in front of my bedroom mirror!
3. Don’t Speak by No Doubt - Totally did a lip sync with 2 other girls to this song in speech class. It sucked.
4. Mariah Carey.. oh god did we listen to a lot of Mariah Carey and “dedicate” songs to boys we liked! Laaaaaaame.
You Couldn’t Pay Me to Go Back aka High School
1. Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC – Same group of us sang/danced this song at every dance we attended.
2.Ice Ice Baby – Junior Year, brand new car/license my bff and I purchased a rockin’ TAPE that included this. We would drive around town BLARING this song. I also know all the words to it ha.
3. Baby Got Back – It was also on the best tape ever!
4. City High Cd –My friend Mark and I pretty much wore this CD out one summer in my blazer driving around town!
5. Beer Run by Garth Brooks – Reminds me of a road trip to an out of town basketball game where we got completely lost, and showed up with 1 quarter of the bball game left. After, we had originally left an hour late. Whoops. We may have played this cd over and over. The boy who claimed we dated was with us. So sadly, I think of him too. Bleck.
1. Get Low by Lil Jon and the Eastside Boys – I worked as a night receptionist and people would always come in drunk singing this song and tell me they lived in room 369. Most of the time they did not.
2. It’s Your Birthday – Oh lord this song was alllll over the place. I always remember dancing around my dorm at MSU freshman year to this gem!
3. Lips of An Angel – Totally reminds me of an ex. Used to belt this out in the car.
4. How Forever Feels by Kenny Chesney – Totally was proposed to during this song!
5. Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey – Tuesday dollar nights at a local bar with our favorite local band! It’s been my ringtone for 2 years now as well ha.
6. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems by Kenny Chesney – Summer 2003. Sun, sand, drinks and friends!
7. Who You’d Be Today by Kenny Chesney – Always makes me want to cry and think of my friend who passed away waaaaaaay to young.
8. Young by Kenny Chesney – Wild times in my dorm in 2002! Haha
9. I go Back by Kenny – Reminds me of allll my good ole times!
1. Went Out Last Night by Kenny Chesney – All the wild times I have with my friends! I have had more fun/crazy times post-college!
2. This Afternoon by Nickelback – Also reminds me of my friends and are late nights in my back yard!
3. Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus – This was our theme song for our Nashville trip. We may have a dance to it.
4. Lady Gaga – Reminds me of two friends and karaoke in Nashville. And the video I have to prove all the crazy happened!
5. Because of You by Reba and Kelly Clarkson – Reminds me of an ex. And I enjoy belting it out on my way to work in the morning to get me going for the day.
Wow, this is an incredibly long list and I feel as though I should stop now or I could keep adding and adding and adding. What’s on your list?