First off, thank you so much to Lisa, for actually partcipating in the book club activities the last couple of days! Sometimes, I really think I am just picking a book for myself to read and discuss with myself. And Lisa. ha. (and kelly, when i wrote this last nite, i hadn't seen hers yet either!)
If you actually DO want to partcipate in next month's selection and reading, go back to Monday and put in a suggestion for May's group read.
Now here are some discussion questions for Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.
1. From her earliest memory, Tully feels abandoned by her mother and father. How does this sense of being unwanted influence her life? How does her troubled relationship with her mother lead to the decisions she makes in her life? Do children have an obligation of some kind to forgive their parents, even inthe face of repeated disappointment? How much do you think childhood heartaches make us who we are?
2. The Kate-Johnny-Tully triangle is one of the fundamental underpinnings of the novel. How does Johnny really feel about Tully? How does Tully feel about him?
3. When Chad leaves Tully, she rationalizes away her broken heart by saying,"if really loved me, he would wait for me." What does this reveal about Tully's perception of romantic love? How do these perceptions setthe stage for the rest of her life? Do you believe that Tully will ever fall in love?
4. Under what circumstances do you feel a betrayal is unforgivable? Do you feel that any of these characters crossed that line?
5. What role do you see Tully playing in Mara's life, after the pages of the novel are closed?
Leave your comments, and I will be back later to comment back!